January 10, 2011

The Program

If you are ever talking to an architect you can throw this word out there.  Or if you prefer, Program of Requirements.  This is the basis of design from a functional stand point, and lists the required types of spaces in your project.  Mine is this.  I am married, and have 3 little kids.  So i need:  1 master bedroom, 1 master bath, 3 kids rooms, 2 bathrooms (1 to be shared by my 2 boys, the other dedicated to my girls room), small office, living room, dining area, kitchen, outdoor deck, half bath for guests, mud room, family rec room, storage / mechanical space, garage (2 cars minimum).

I love modern design, but every time I look through Dwell magazine I can't imagine how people actually live in these floor plans.  Where the heck is all there stuff?,  and the flow is way wrong.  Additionally, I want the design to feel warm.  So i want my house to function as a machine, very well through out from am to pm.  Energy efficient, lots of glass, and a minimal design aesthetic is what i am striving for.  Thats my program.

No comments:

Post a Comment